Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Duluth this morning -- nice sun, but forecasters say the freeze is coming Thursday.


For most people, belief is sometimes there, and sometimes not; or seems to be there, but isn’t; or may fade in a different time and place; or may be doubted when a prayer goes unanswered. This is the mindset of the average person. Untested, their faith lacks endurance.
Yang Jiang, "The Value of Life"
Belief comes and goes, at least for us "average" "untested" folks. I've understood that since I was a kid, when I did have religious feelings, including belief. I think back on the Christian custom that I grew up with, which seemed to say that once we were believers it would not go away again (but always remain, "in here" <gesture at heart>).

This essay from Yang Jiang's 2007 book Arriving at the Margins of Life is at last mostly done and ready for the printers. Big sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment